About Us - History
Shelby County State Bank, the oldest bank in Shelby County, opened its doors May 11, 1895 for the purpose of offering banking products and services to all of Shelby County.
Since its inception, Shelby County State Bank has led the way in offering financial products and services to Shelbyville and the surrounding communities. Shelby County State Bank has been the bank that businesses, farmers, and individuals have turned to for financial assistance through all economic ups and downs. Over the past 115 years, Shelby County State Bank has made the highest percentage of loans of all Shelby County financial institutions.
The Bank, when formed, started with a capital stock of $50,000 and has since grown to over $175,000,000 in assets. The original investors were Theodore F. Dove, Max Kleeman, Philo Parker, and John A. Tackett. To this date, a member of the Dove family has been active in the Bank.
Shelby County State Bank opened for business at 155 East Main Street, in a building formerly occupied by the W. F. Thorton and Sons Bank, with Philo Parker as its first president. On December 31, 1916 a fire destroyed much of the original Bank. The Bank was rebuilt and completed in the fall of 1917.
During the late 20’s and 30’s, Shelby County State Bank consolidated with the Tower Hill State Bank and became a member of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) and a member of the Federal Reserve System.
The Bank constructed a new building at 130 South Morgan in 1965. For its time, it was on the cutting edge of banking technology with a drive-up window for transacting business. Twice more because of its rapid growth and commitment to offering up-to-date technology, the Main Bank remodeled and expanded in 1983 and again in 2000.
In order to adequately serve all areas of Shelby County, the Bank acquired Windsor State Bank in 1987 and the Strasburg State Bank in 1988, later adding the Bank of Findlay and establishing a full-service branch at 1501 West Main in Shelbyville.
An Investment Center, with Jerry Yockey as the Financial Advisor, was established in 1995. Investment products are offered through Wayne Hummer Investments LLC.
In August of 2006 the outdated Windsor facility was replaced with a brand new building at 1009 Maine. This facility offers the newest technology and customer friendly accessibility.
To offer more convenient service to our existing customers and hoping to attract new customers in the Northwestern part of Shelby County, a new branch was opened in Moweaqua in July 2008.